Lesson Plan Stock Market
4th form of Handelsakademie
Subject Business Adminstration
- Become familiar with different types of investment
- Differentiate between stock market and bond market, equity and debt securities
- Navigate efficiently on the website of Vienna Stock Exchange, Financial Times, and other similar sites
- Define stock market terms
- Learn stock market math
- Assess various forms of investment according to their own risk taking behaviour
- Evaluate companies according to their performance using news from various media
- Learn that long-term planning and investing can make dreams come true
Procedure (for a sequence of 6-10 units):
- The PowerPoint Presentation provides an overview of different types of securities.
- The website of Wiener Börse (Vienna Stock Exchange) contains several tools for teaching in pdf-format unfortunately only in German though the website is also available in English.
- Students have to go through the different online-books prior to and accompanying the lessons in English.
- Vocabulary sheet: students have to complete the English terms with the German translation and a definition in English as well.
- What companies are in the stock market? The answer to this question is provided by the Vienna Stock Exchange in a pdf-folder covering the different market segments and the Austrian companies trading in that segment.
- Company preferences: students express their opinions about some of the companies described in the folder. Do they like particular companies? Why and why not?
- Collect information about European and Global companies.
- Use one favourite company to illustrate important terms. What is a stock? Why do stock prices change? Forecast a stocks price performance by collecting news and information.
- Learn stock market math. How to calculate price-earnings ratio, interest of bonds, investment funds etc.?
- The students could pick investments and set up a class portfolio similar to the stock market games offered by some banks.
- Create a sample portfolio e.g. at Financial Times website, etc.
The following weeks are used for checking the progress of the class portfolio, discussing and reporting on it.
- Students have to pass a revision showing their knowledge of vocabulary and concepts.
- Last but not least the students write an article. The successful student investor: Showing how much money they could have made from investing their per week allowance in a savings account first during their lower grades and later buying stocks. It should be enough to buy a car and pay for the driving licence education class.
- PowerPoint Presentation, Projector
- Computers (students are sitting in a Notebook-classroom with their own individual computer)
- Websites of Vienna Stock Exchange, Financial Times, others
- Vocabulary lists
- Excel style sheets