The French food manufacturer Biscuiterie Francaise produces various types of consumer goods. The company is a specialist in manufacturing soft drinks and biscuits.
BF intends to enter the German market, firstly only with its biscuit line. Austria should play the role of a test market. For this reason the French acquired the Austrian wafers and biscuit firm Haller. Haller offers specialist Know How for the production of wafers and biscuits. Furthermore it employs a well-educated and skilled staff.
Various market research surveys conducted in Austria found out that one single product could result in the greatest market success – the monster cookies. These cookies are soft biscuits filled with marmalade and covered with a chocolate coat – looking like having been bitten by a little monster.
1. The French management decided to distribute the biscuits through supermarkets, though there is a keen competition for getting the best storage rack space. Get into groups of 4 and search for marketing data of five competitors that offer similar soft biscuits. The following data are required
a. Competitor name and production site
b. Name of product
e. Storage rack (where can you find the biscuits in supermarket?)
f. Catch line
g. Packaging (colors, pictures, material)
h. Before starting the survey get the permission of the manager of the supermarket!
i. Use the attached data sheet
j. Compare only packages containing the same quantity
k. Take pictures of the storage rack position and packaging
2.The introduction of the monster cookies should be carried out during the next year based on the following considerations:
a. Define the attributes and features of the cookies
b. What distinguishes the monster cookies from competitors products?
c. Define the target group
d. Find a brand name and a catch line
e. Describe the packaging (form, color, font, description, pictures)
f. Develop a promotion plan
g. Create a media plan (TV, radio, poster, ads) and give reasons for your choice
h. Define duration of a commercial, a radio spot, the size of posters, advertisements, etc.
i. Calculate the costs of the planned activities. There is no allowance for overdraft. Your budget: 200.000,00 Euros
- Contact broadcast stations and media for charges – e.g. for a 20 sec spot – or search the web for up to date rates
- Create a written documentation of your findings – following an outline like 1. Present situation 2. Product 3.Analysis of competitors etc.
3. Imagine that your group is an advertising agency. You have to develop a marketing strategy for the French company and to carry out a persuading presentation. Create attractive PowerPoint slides for that purpose.
4. Preparation and execution of the presentation.